Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Blind Massage: Awesome or God-Awful?


By far, one the best experiences I have had here in Ho Chi Minh City was a massage.  According to Phil, however, it was “god-awful”. 

Phil had already received a couple of massages from some of the other random “spas” around that were “decent”. I received a foot massage at one of them, and it was not spectacular, but at a cost of a few dollars I wasn’t going to complain.  In fact, it felt just like being at any California nail salon as they sat us in pedicure-style stations and proceeded to chat continuously in Vietnamese with occasional glances and subsequent giggles our direction. In an attempt to try something different and out of our comfort zone, we used a Lonely Planet recommended establishment that supposedly provided no-frills massages and was located just around the corner from our hostel at The Institute for the Blind. At less than $2.50 for 60 minutes, we had to try it. Have you ever received a massage from a blind person? I mean, it kind of sounds like the start of a joke, right?

After paying for our massages and receiving braille-encoded tickets, we are directed to the “gentlemen” and “ladies” areas. I am then pushed by a blind woman, who turns out to be my masseuse, down a hallway and into a room with three curtained areas, each containing a massage table and hard wooden chair. She directs me to one of the empty stalls and says, “Get undressed.” While she stands there waiting, I quickly disrobe, throw my clothes onto a stand, and hop onto the table, face planting into an old, tired looking patchwork pillow. How sanitary? I don’t want to know. My blind masseuse then tucks a worn, slightly greying towel into my underwear and proceeds to slap tiger balm oil onto my back with rapid-fire determination. Please don’t hit me in the head, I think. She doesn’t. She excuses herself for a moment after a quick, loud conversation through the curtains with a colleague and then returns pushing a 10,000 Vietnamese dong bill into my face. “Madam.” Shove.  “Madam.” I am being partially refunded because I was placed in a fan room instead of an AC room. “Thank you,” I mumble and then put the bill in my hand for lack of a better place and hold on to it for dear life while the massage-on-meth continues.

Fond memories come to mind of my visits to the Korean spas in Los Angeles, where the exfoliating scrub-downs by black lace underwear-clad Korean women (Why is this the uniform?) occur on plastic covered tables and have a similar “I am a piece of meat” vibe. Prior to this experience, I was mesmerized by the women and men in the street markets who expertly deboned and scraped fish meat into baggies and butchered their various meats into tenderized mounds. Now, I have empathy for those poor slabs of meat. I am thoroughly and without apologies being tenderized by a blind Vietnamese woman who seems to embrace the motto, “Take no prisoners”.  I want to laugh out loud, but I can’t because I am slowly suffocating with my face smooshed in the not-so-hygienic pillow.

As she moves on to pounding and kneading my legs, I worry that my tailbone and other more sensitive areas may end up tragically assaulted. Thankfully, she is somewhat gentle with her bottom-knocking and my cushion-less tush is spared. My massage ends with a prolonged craniofacial stimulation that, per Phil, was reminiscent of when his older brother used to give him a noogie (ie, not pleasant). I found it invigorating, but the quick, repetitive massage from the inner aspect of my eyes to my eyebrows did make me fear that I, too, may soon lose my sight. “Done,” she says and turns to leave. “Thank you and chuc mung nam muoi (happy new year),” I say to her receding backside. “Mm,” she nods in reply as she walks away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment